Research Scientist – Discovery Chemistry
miRagen Therapeutics, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company founded to harness the power of microRNA (miRNA) biology. The company combines strong in-house expertise in microRNA biology and chemistry with external partnerships and academic collaborations that leverage best-in-class technologies. Together with its strategic partners, miRagen is focused on the discovery and development of innovative microRNA-based therapeutics in disease areas with high unmet medical need.
We currently seek a Ph.D. level scientist with experience in nucleic acid chemistry, encompassing all facets of solution and solid phase synthesis. The incumbent will lead internal discovery chemistry efforts, and be a key project team member and contributor, providing expertise related to innovative chemistries and enhanced product functionality. The primary responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
- The design and synthesis of novel monomers, linkers, phosphoramidites and bioconjugates
- The characterization and activity assessment of new compounds, through collaboration with the Biology/Pre-Clinical team
- Oligo design for lead and backup compounds
- Technical diligence related to delivery, modifications and general nucleic acid innovations.
- Facilitate Business Development activities related to new partnerships and alliances
- Work with Legal to expand and protect the Company’s IP landscape
- Present discovery chemistry advancements at internal and external meetings
- Manage and develop members of the Chemistry team, utilizing management methods that align with key corporate values
Suitable candidates will possess a Ph.D. in chemistry, biochemistry, or related field with a minimum five years of industry experience in nucleic acid, medicinal or heterocyclic chemistry, or equivalent. Additionally, candidates should possess at least three years of supervisory experience, and demonstrated ability to work effectively in a cross-functional, project team environment.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Expertise in solution and solid phase synthesis of nucleic acids, conjugates, and other biopolymer modifications
- Analytical techniques including NMR, UV spectrophotometry, HPLC, mass spectroscopy
- Experience with formulations chemistry desired but not required
- Purification methods including flash chromatography and HPLC
- Experience in multi-disciplinary collaborations with both industrial and academic partners
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Experience with one or more of the following: preparation of peer-reviewed scientific publications, scientific meeting presentations, patent composition and/or technical writing
- Strong computer skills required including familiarity with electronic lab notebook systems
- Supervisory skills including the ability to effectively coach and develop direct reports
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to successfully work and communicate within a multi-disciplinary team
miRagen Therapeutics offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package. For additional information, please visit our website at www.miragentherapeutics.com. Interested candidates should email a CV in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org